This is community service message, but my blog is not for this :p im just passing around good message to community :p Hi halo..do u remember my post before, im sure u not remember aite..hehe :p Click this link to recall :)
Hehe..found it here already..this picture is taken at Giant Batu Caves, im sure every single one of whr is that :p Miri have done it already, but it held on sunday. According to my brother, Miri City will enforce no plastic bag at all on this coming May 2010..Aiyo..so, Miri citizen out there, dont ever forget to bring your own beg yaa :)
HARMFUL EFFECTS OF PLASTIC BAG ON ENVIRONMENT
- Plastic bags litter the landscape. - Each year more and more plastic bags are ending up littering the environment. Once they become litter, plastic bags find their way into our waterways, parks, beaches, and streets. And, if they are burned, they infuse the air with toxic fumes.
- Plastic bags kill animals. - About 100,000 animals such as dolphins, turtles whales, penguins are killed every year due to plastic bags. Many animals ingest plastic bags, mistaking them for food, and therefore die. And worse, the ingested plastic bag remains intact even after the death and decomposition of the animal.
- Plastic bags are non-biodegradable. - And one of the worst environmental effects of plastic bags is that they are non-biodegradable. The decomposition of plastic bags takes about 1000 years
- Petroleum is required to produce plastic bags. - As it is, petroleum products are diminishing and getting more expensive by the day, since we have been using this non-renewable resource increasingly. Petroleum is vital for our modern way of life. It is necessary for our energy requirements – for our factories, transport, heating, lighting, and so on. Without viable alternative sources of energy yet on the horizon, if the supply of petroleum were to be turned off, it would lead to practically the whole world grinding to a halt. Surely, this precious resource should not be wasted on producing plastic bags, should it?
P/S : Am I good citizen? Im not sure, huhuhuhu :(
"LET'S GO GREEN!"
VARIOUS ALTERNATIVE TO PLASTIC BAGSHehe, this is my biodegradable bag, but i dont use it to Giant or any market :p My mom gave me this bag for me to carry my CPU everytime semester break :)
- Use biodegradable bags made from fabrics.
- Ladies can fold a cotton bag or two in to their purses which can be used to quench their sudden urge for shopping.
- Nylon bags can be used and reused several times.
- Donate old news papers and magazines to small scale institutes that cut these old papers in to paper bags and packets.
- Use a wicker basket. (They can make a fashion statement today.)
- Educate the local retailers on the ill effects of use of plastics. (This is wht we done,hehe :))
- Insist your local retailers to use plastic bags of thicker variety if at all he has to use.
"LET'S GO GREEN!"
Source : Buzzle, Article Alley